[AT] Ethanol

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Mon Jun 16 17:17:36 PDT 2008

Gene-
I took my Stihl chainsaw back to the dealer about 6 weeks after I bought it
complaining I couldn't get it to rev and have enough power - this was about
2 weeks after I took it back so the mechanic would set the max RPM with his
tach after break-in .  They said the problem was the gas; probably water in
it.  --- and of course I was using high test they said!  They had just
dumped the gas and put a little of their own high test mix in it and
everthing worked fine.  High test for a simple old chainsaw?? - I sputtered!
Looks of "How stupid can this guy be"  were focused at me - of course I knew
that everything else has varying degrees of ethenol in it and absorbes water
like crazy!  Well I didn't ever think about it and I am quite sure the
manual says 87 octane is reccomended.  Like you, the gallon a month I use in
the saws and weedwacker won't break the bank for high test, it is less than
$ 10% more these days.
Now I am really confused, because ethanol is also a good way to increase
octane - so what is really going on here.  Does ethanol in 87 octane regualr
allow them to put something cheaper into the blend that really does who
knows what to our fuel systems?
Carl Gogol - Manlius, NY
Tasty grazing in the Oran valley of Central NY
AC D14, 914H
JD 5320 MFWD
Kubota F-2400, B7300HST
Simplicity 7116H, 3112H