[AT] Ethanol

Larry Goss rlgoss at insightbb.com
Mon Jun 16 17:54:02 PDT 2008

I don't really want to become a part of this thread, but I will inject a bit of information I gathered from my coffee-drinking buddy in MacDonalds last week.  He's a retired chemist.  He lived and breathed Chemistry when he was employed, and he still does.  He says you cannot add Ethanol to anything without adding water.  It's a matter of the molecular makup of the chemicals and it is going to happen whether you want it to or not.  It doesn't just apply to gasoline, but it applies to liquor also.  It's one of the reasons why you never see 200-proof alcohol.

When he launched into his monologue, my eyes glazed over.  So I can't explain any more than that, but the man does appear to know a little something about chemistry.  I took another swig of my Dark Roast Senior Coffee and came back to consciousness after he went on for a few minutes.

Larry