[AT] Ethanol

Gene Waugh Elgin, Illinois USA gwaugh at wowway.com
Sun Jun 15 20:02:11 PDT 2008

This thread got me to thinking.  I have had a Honda lawnmower for years;
it is a great mower, bu I have had continual carb problems with it.
Sometimes I can fix it, sometimes I have had to take it to the shop.  I
had become almost paranoid about clean gas cans, not getting crap in the
tank, etc.  I have long been aware of the problem with alcohol and
rubber components in the system, but had never thought to check to see
if "Premium" had ethanol in it.  Here in Illinois, I am sure that all of
our "Regular" is either 10 or 15% ethanol.  It is really interesting
that the writer (who likely knows nothing about anything), mentions
small engines.  I am sure gonna be looking for no ethanol; for the
amount used in small engines, 20 cents or so a gallon won't make a big
difference---less than a 5% increase in cost.  I've spent waaay more
than that on carb repairs.

I googled "Illinois ethanol gasoline"---got mostly info on the ethanol
industry and 85% ethanol-gasoline, but came across the newspaper article
below.

/Every gas station selling ethanol-blended gasoline must display an
ethanol content sticker near the pumps.

The sticker is mandated because most cars made before 1970, along with
most modern gas-powered, home-care or small engine devices are not
compatible with even the 10 percent ethanol blend./

http://www.northernstar.info/article/727/

/--
Gene
Gene Waugh
Elgin, Illinois USA

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville /