[AT] OT- String trimmers and other 2-cycle pieces of garbage

WF Smith mogrits at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 11:07:57 PDT 2008

Is it the new gasoline formulas, cheaper equipment, or just my poor luck
that even when I store my string trimmers and other 2-cycle pieces of
equipment (with stabil additive) they always come out the next season
running improperly, if at all?

I have a Homelite 25cc string trimmer sitting beside the shop right now,
hemmoraging fuel through the carburetor. It is running so rich it eventually
wets the plug and stops. There is only an idle adjustment screw (really just
a stop for the throttle cam) and one other screw that I assume is the
mixture. I've removed the primer bulb trying to stop the flow of gas and
everything under there was clean as a whistle- no trash at all on the
screen.

I'm seriously considering just buying a new 90.00 trimmer each year and
donating the previous years model to someone with more patience than I have.

Does anyone have good experience with a particular brand? I'm not going to
buy a big professional model because I have so little to trim it would be a
waste, not to mention I could still have the same problems year to year.

Warren