[AT] Bready tractor = Father's Day

Dave Merchant kosh at ncweb.com
Sat Jun 7 02:26:49 PDT 2008

I just bought a Bready walk-behind unlike any other Bready I've found on
the web.
Designated as my Father's Day gift, $100 even.

Came with a 1 seat sulky from some other tractor, but looks like it belongs.
Real beefy beast, looks like a nice butt buggy.
Nice big chevron tires in pretty good shape, on cast spoke wheels like
Gravely, but bigger.

For some reason, it's painted John Deere colors (well, OK, we all know the
reason!).
...but P.O. thinks the colors might be original???

Built 1960, 14 hp B+S, rope start, built in Solon Ohio.

Good compression, guy says it runs with persuasion, but only at idle.
Carb is buggered (main jet screw stripped), may need to get a new carb (I
assume they're pretty available).

Has a big 4' push blade with angle, seller said it was used as a snow plow
at the local fire station.

Has a huge hydrostatic transmission/transaxle of some kind, with a
horizontal control lever on top.
Tranny has a Bready data plate with patent numbers.
Engine is bolted directly to the front of the tranny via a ~6" torque tube
neck.

Tranny case shape looks like there might be a torque converter in there.
Seller says it really torques up if you put it against a tree, so it might
have one.

Has the ratchet wheel hubs that are apparently standard with all Bready
tractors.

As far as I can figure, this must have been about the end of the Bready line,
we all know that many tractor builders came up with really good innovative
designs just before they went under.

Anybody know anything about it, especially the transmission?

Who is good for old B+S carbs + ignition parts?

Dave

Dave Merchant
kosh at nesys.com
nesys_com at ameritech.net