[AT] Disastrous weather...

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Tue Jun 3 22:57:46 PDT 2008

As I type this it is about 45 minutes past midnight.
A couple of hours ago Central Indiana was awash with
weather alerts and from what I could tell from the TV
news at one point there may have been as many as 8 or
more tornadoes active. There were also some severe
straight line winds. The weather service reported 3500
lighting strikes in a very short time in just one
small storm cell north west of here. Our farm was
spared even though some of the tornado activity
(moving west to east) was first spotted from a tiny
village (Prescott IN) less than 2 miles east of us. We
heard the city's (Shelbyville IN) tornado siren and
started monitoring the weather. One of our daughters
lives in a small town (Waldron IN) about 6 miles south
east of us. The last we heard from her they were
headed to the basement. The power and phone lines are
about all down there yet but we know that they are
looking for shelter for about 11 families tonight due
to home damage and lots of trees down. There are no
reported injuries there.
Now for the one that has me worried...
We just rented a house in a small village (Moscow IN)
in the the next county to a family with 5 kids. Our
property there includes 17 acres that runs across the
back of the village and on both sides of a very long
covered bridge often claimed to be Indiana's longest
covered bridge. Tonight the sheriff's dept. in that
county tells me that the bridge is totally
destroyed... Our rental house is only about 200' from
the bridge. I'm very concerned about that family but
could find out little. The authorities were doing a
house to house when I talked to them and while there
were 5 reported injuries in the community they said
that only one from the village was sent to the
hospital and she didn't believe that it was someone
from our house. We also have very good long time
friends that live only about 80' from the bridge and
more that live a few hundred feet further away. The TV
news folks were standing by and talking with people
that had serious home damage outside of town but the
news folks couldn't get into the town yet due to trees
down and downed wires. About all I can do now is wait
for daylight and hope that they found shelter if
needed. I was going over there tomorrow anyway since I
have been doing some work on the house. The bathroom
hot water faucet was leaking and it was an older
odd-ball sink and faucet set. I finally decided to buy
a new sink top and faucet set that was current and
just replace the whole thing. I bought them today but
now I have to wait to see if there is anything left to
attach it to... About all I could see in the news
chopper footage was the church, a lot of flashing red
and blue lights and a big industrial loader (probably
from the stone quarry at the edge of town) pushing
downed trees out of the way.
The frustrating part now is not knowing if I am
dealing with minor damage or total destruction of the
house. If it is unlivable I will need to see if there
is anything I can do to help them find a place to
live... I know that we can scrape up a batch of
clothes for the kids if needed and a number of other
things but we won''t know about needs (or if they have
any needs at all) until tomorrow morning.
Most frustrating. ..

	You guys in Ohio better "duck and cover". The radar map is a mess...

--

"farmer"

"Everything that can be invented has been invented."
   -- Charles Duell, Commissioner of US Patent Office, 1899

Hay & Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)