[AT] Grant's Wallis (was: Tractor pulling in Sask)

Roy Morgan k1lky at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 30 20:50:17 PDT 2008

Grant,

I just looked carefully at all the pictures you posted about the
Wallis.  It's quite an inspiration!  I've done overhaul/restoration on
old radio equipment (not tractors, yet) and I am amazed at the
thoroughness you went to in getting the old thing running again.  I do
wonder just HOW old it is.

I have just bought my first tractor(s) - a McCormick 1953 W-4 (and a
cub cadet).  It might be of similar complexity as the Wallis, but some
decades newer.  I hope I don't need a machine shop of the sort you
seem to have in getting my tractor into good shape.  A co-worker where
I used to work does, though, and he's been making tractor parts and
cylinder sleeve tools recently.  No doubt I can call on him for
machine work.

 From seeing your picture story of the Wallis restoration, I have some
conclusions:

- I'm very much inspired by your work - your Wallis certainly will run
nicely for most of another century!

- Any significant overhaul of the McCormick may take some extended
time:  I may need another tractor to run in the meantime.  (Uh-oh, the
start of a collection?)

- My tractor is somewhat beat up and not well cared for, but I can see
how nice an old machine can be from your work.

- A thorough restoration can be done in a normal-looking garage.

- As rusty as a tractor may be, it still holds lots of hope.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Roy

Roy Morgan
13033 Downey Mill Rd