[AT] sprayer pump

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Wed Jul 30 06:57:11 PDT 2008

Brad Gunnells wrote:
> I'm looking to see if anyone has experience hooking up (hose routing)
> a PTO driven roller pump for a sprayer.
>
> I have a carry-all 3pt platform with a folding spray boom my
> grandfather made many years ago. The pump had been removed or
> discarded long before I got it. I picked one up at auction several
> years ago and now have a need to put it all together. If I'm going to
> harvest beans this fall I better get the weeds taken care of!
>
> Anway, I have between the pump/accessories I got at auction and the
> sprayer  what I think I need. The question is plumbing. It "appears"
> on the original sprayer the pump output went directly to the spray
> valve. Is there any type of internal bypass built into a roller pump?
> I can understand an electric because an internal pressure switch can
> turn on and off when needed. But a PTO driven roller I'm not sure about.
>
> On the tractor side the job will be handled by an 801 Ford Select-O-
> Speed that is still waiting (....and waiting) for a cleanup and a
> fresh work clothes paint job.
>
> Thanks
> Brad

=======================================

	Hi Brad:

	In a "normal" set up you have an intake (suction) hose from the tank.
There is typically a screen at the end or some kind of screened filter
between it and the pump inlet. Pumps are commonly marked inlet and
outlet.You need to watch for any possible collapse of the suction hose.
It is possible for one to look OK on the outside but be collapsing on
the inside if the liner separates from the outer shell of the hose. Next
is a pressure line from the pump to the control valve. There is usually
a bypass valve either attached to the control valve or in some cases it
is built into the control valve. Pressure lines to the booms are pretty
straight forward, usually left, center and right. There would also be a
bypass line from the bypass valve back to the tank. The bypass valve is
what actually controls the working pressure and you keep the throttle
setting high enough for the pump pressure to always be higher than the
working pressure. Those roller pumps occasionally need a new set of
rollers but not too often.
	Sometimes there is a pressure line (or the bypass line) used to feed an
agitator in the tank to help keep the chemicals in suspension.
Hope this helps.

--

"farmer"

I wouldn't mind being absent minded so bad if forgetfulness
could just be a little more selective. Just last week I
was saying so to "whats-her-name..."

Hay & Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)