[AT] Fw: 350u power steering

Larry Goss rlgoss at insightbb.com
Wed Jul 30 07:23:23 PDT 2008

Mike, my guess is that Case/IH started from scratch with their current on-line parts lookup. I went in last night and did a bunch of searching for parts on my 1120 and found that the whole file is PDF format with every page having three scrollable windows and interactive forms.  Most of the on-line material was in a completely different format (different drawings) from the paper manuals for this tractor.  This is the style of parts lookup that was "coming on" when I worked for a dealer seven years ago.  If they are continuing the pattern I am used to working with, they probably won't include ALL the models of tractors and equipment in the system.  The local dealership has kept all the old paper manuals "under the desk" and refers back to them when the new system fails to show things that customers have questions about.

I went into the system looking for a W-4 and it shows that no such model exists.  I did not try other characters in the search string to see if they stored it by some other identification, but the old paper system may be the only way things will show up on that tractor.

I'm headed overseas in less than 24 hours, or I would volunteer my help in getting the needed information from the local dealership on that tractor.  If it's still a problem at this time next month, I'll do it then.

When I was restoring the sickle bar mower on my old Economy tractor, I recognized the part numbers were McCormick-Deering parts that were originally manufactured over 80 years ago.  The paper system through Case/IH was the only way I had of finding the availability of OEM parts that were purchased directly from International Harvester right after WWII.  That may also be the best way of getting similar information on a W-4.

It will take a dealership that has been in business a long time and that services a wide geographical area to have the information.  This dealership sells and services equipment in a large area that stretches from central Pennsylvania, to southern Georgia and western South Dakota.  They've been in business since the days of the Mogul tractor, so their wealth of antiquated material is pretty extensive.  The head of their parts department has been with the company for better than 40 years and has a good sense of where things are.

Larry