[AT] sprayer pump

Brad Gunnells brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu
Wed Jul 30 06:14:16 PDT 2008

I'm looking to see if anyone has experience hooking up (hose routing)
a PTO driven roller pump for a sprayer.

I have a carry-all 3pt platform with a folding spray boom my
grandfather made many years ago. The pump had been removed or
discarded long before I got it. I picked one up at auction several
years ago and now have a need to put it all together. If I'm going to
harvest beans this fall I better get the weeds taken care of!

Anway, I have between the pump/accessories I got at auction and the
sprayer  what I think I need. The question is plumbing. It "appears"
on the original sprayer the pump output went directly to the spray
valve. Is there any type of internal bypass built into a roller pump?
I can understand an electric because an internal pressure switch can
turn on and off when needed. But a PTO driven roller I'm not sure about.

On the tractor side the job will be handled by an 801 Ford Select-O-
Speed that is still waiting (....and waiting) for a cleanup and a
fresh work clothes paint job.

Thanks
Brad