[AT] F-12 - Karl Ohmsted CD - other list stuff

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Mon Jul 28 13:55:01 PDT 2008

Roy Morgan wrote:
  The dogs are responsible for
> the losses we've had.
>
> GOOD fences are planned for the NY place.
>
> Roy
>
> Roy Morgan
> 13033 Downey Mill Rd
> Lovettsville, VA 20180
> k1lky at earthlink.net

=====================================

	We were running 80 ewes when we quit. All just common stuff. We were
doing well and the sheep were doing well but the sheep nor the wool were
worth anything. Made it all seem kind of pointless.   :-)
	The absolute best thing I ever did as far as dogs was to use miles and
miles of very hot low impedence electric fence. While it worked OK for
the sheep it was really super successful with all of the dogs in the
neighborhood They learned very quickly to give our entire farm a very
wide berth. Dogs really hate getting shocked... We originally trained
the dogs and coyotes by buying a package of cheap bacon and hanging
strips over the hot wire at every sign of a path. Since it was cured the
bacon held up for a while and in the sun it put out a lot of bacon
smell. Sometimes we would hear them get nailed especially at night. Lots
of screaming. We trained the sheep by hanging throw-away aluminum pie
tins from the wire. They would see it and go sniff (once). I also used
to scatter a bit of shelled corn along under a low wire. They would pick
up what was easy and then start reaching sideways under the wire to get
the rest. One would get zapped and the whole group would jump back 10
feet. Great training reinforcement.

--

"farmer"

I wouldn't mind being absent minded so bad if forgetfulness
could just be a little more selective. Just last week I
was saying so to "whats-her-name..."

Hay & Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)