[AT] Tired tires

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Mon Jul 28 13:35:05 PDT 2008

	OK, who has been messing with the gravity knob again??? Just when did a
15.5 X 38" 6 ply get that danged hard to stand up from laying flat on
the ground? It was just the tire and rim (no center) and tube, well OK,
it did have a couple of gallons of rain water between the tire and tube
since it had been sitting flat. I bent down and hooked my fingers under
it and started grunting. By the time I had it chest high I had made more
sounds than the Mormon Tabernacle Choir... Gheese...
	You just cant get any life out of a tire anymore. This was a pair of
old Firestone "Gum dipped" rears that I stood out in a downpour of rain
to buy at auction. They didn't look terribly old but had a lot of road
wear on them. They had maybe 10% tread in the center and 60% tread at
the edges. That sale was in the late 1970's. We wanted them for a set of
duals. I bought the pair for $10. We ran them as duals for maybe 8 years
then I quit using duals and I put them on my Farmall Super M where they
have been ever since. I hate it when you just can't get your money's
worth out of something.   :-)   The one I am changing today was
splitting out not so long ago so I had parked the tire and rim (did not
run when parked) and put on another tire and rim I had handy. I was
accidentally smart enough to let all of the air out of it so I saved the
good tube. The mate to the one I am changing today was doing fine until
I found that steel post stump. The old tire came off fine in spite of
all of the noises and I have cleaned and tested the tube and descaled
the rim. I need to give the rim a fresh coat of paint before I put it
back together and I will probably go mow a small future horse lot while
it dries. I need a spot to park a couple of dozen round bales for a
while. I'll move the bales with the Super M as soon as I get the tire
remounted on the tractor.
	I came in and typed this message while I let the tire and rim cool
down, they were getting pretty hot...   ;-)

--

"farmer"

I wouldn't mind being absent minded so bad if forgetfulness
could just be a little more selective. Just last week I
was saying so to "whats-her-name..."

Hay & Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)