[AT] F-12

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jul 27 18:45:37 PDT 2008

 Irma, call Rice Equipment or The Fordson House to get a fuel pump rebuild
kit. I think the Fordson House has been advertising them in magazines lately
for less than $40.

F-4's are one of my favorite mags to work on ( I keep everything on hand to
re-build one except for bearings). We have 3  tractors here that use it as
well as having several friends with them.  As far as rebuilding the mag
yourself, figure on a coil, points, condenser, and the 5 brushes for the
cap. With shipping it may cost as much as $100, depending on where you buy
the parts. The scary part is the guy you bought this tractor from took the
mag apart and never got the tractor to run. A lot of people tear into mags
thinking they know what they are doing only to bail out or re-assemble it
without it working properly. I had to back out on the KW mag on my Titan for
lack of a decent mag to start with and lack of experience on that model. The
F-4's however are pretty simple and parts are easy to get.

 Never assume that firing a spark plug is an adequate test of performance.
One rule of thumb on any high tension mag is that it MUST jump a 1/4" spark
or it will not work to your satisfaction. some newer magnetos will jump a
7/16" spark. These are not measurements you estimate either. We have an
Allen magneto/generator tester that allows us to see how hot a mag is and at
what speed so we can see if there are problems with the impulse, cap etc. If
you can buy a GOOD mag for a $100 bucks, someone is doing you a favor or
doesn't know what they have. I would check how hot your spark is and then
check timing to the engine--there are marks on the flywheel--consult your
service manual.  Who knows, a very light polishing on the points may get you
going! Also read and understand about retarding the spark before attempting
to crank by hand!

 If you need a mag, I have dealt with Mark's Magneto Service, buying parts
and tools as well as getting technical advice. I have always been impressed.
I would up with a mag for my Titan that he rebuilt and must say it works
flawlessly. I believe he offers trade-in allowances and his rebuilt mags
probably come with a warranty.

John Hall