[AT] Semi-OT - Looking at Hemi hauler

Larry Goss rlgoss at insightbb.com
Sun Jul 27 18:20:45 PDT 2008

I don't have that truck, Dave, but I did buy a 2005 Dakota 4X4 Crew Cab with all the "bells and whistles" as a tractor hauler.  It came from the factory with all the hauling options on it and it rides like a sedan with or without a trailer and with or without a load.  It has a stange sized bed (short) but it fits in my garage and hauls six people with ease.  I don't have the Hemi- but I do have the littler V-8.  13 MPG when towing loaded, 14 MPG towing empty, 16.5 MPG on the Interstates with no trailer. I put a tool box in it when Rural King put them on sale.  They only had one that was the right size, and they wanted to get rid of it because it hadn't moved for a couple of years.  When opportunity knocks...

What really grabbed my attention was your mention of brand new Michelin tires.  I have been pricing a set of those for my Dakota in the last week and am primed to have a set of them installed.  IMHO the best deal I have for them is $889 for a set of four, installed, balanced, new valve stems, all taxes paid, recycle fee paid on old tires, 80,000 mile warrantee, and free rotation for the life of the tires.  There are other shops that will do a bare bones job for less, but....

>From what I find on the Internet, the Michelin tires for that truck (17-inch) have the best ride, best mileage, best pavement grip, and least road noise of the ones that will fit it.

YMMV, literally.  :-)

Larry