[AT] Semi-OT - Looking at Hemi hauler (traction)

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Jul 27 18:51:45 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry Goss" <rlgoss at insightbb.com>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 6:34 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] Semi-OT - Looking at Hemi hauler

> !!!  Isn't that what extra wheel weights are for?  :-)
>
> Larry

Those cast weights would be pretty effective but they would need to be
securely bolted down. The thought of several hundred pounds of cast iron
hurtling towards the front of my truck box in a panic stop situation is not
a good scene. :-)
Seriously, I think today's trucks have better traction than the old ones. My
Dad's first pickup, a 59 IH B110 was pretty terrible in snow, even with good
grip tires. For a while we used a rear wheel off an old Cockshutt tiller as
weight and it did help a little. This big steel wheel with solid cast centre
must have weighed a few hundred pounds and we just set it to rest in an old
truck tire in the box. In later years we went to sandbags as it was easier
to handle a few bags of sand rather than a huge lump of cast iron.
Nowadays I don't carry any extra weight in the truck box and seem to get
along fine. Better tires, weight distribution, who knows?

Ralph in Sask.