[AT] Subject: Re: Portland Info/ash trees

Claudeprintequip at aol.com Claudeprintequip at aol.com
Sat Jul 26 07:51:48 PDT 2008

Other trees.
I remember the chinquapin and chestnut tree blight that came through the
Ozarks region in NW Arkansas
in about 1950 or so?.   It seemed to have got all the  chinquapins.Only a few
chestnuts in secluded valleys survived.   Some  time afterward I started
seeing chinquapin sprouts coming up from the roots of  the dead trees.  I thought
maybe they were saved after all, but the sprouts  would only grow for a couple
of years or so and then die.  It could be my  memory has magnified things a
little but I can't recall a nut of any variety as  sweet and tasty as the
chinquapin.  Toward the end of the nut season the  squirrels would clean up the
last of them from up in the trees.  My brother  and I would throw rocks at them
hoping to drive them off but they just dodged a  little and continued
harvesting the nuts.  A nut worth risking their life  for.  The chinquapin fence post
was good for 20 years in the ground before  it started to rot.  Dad mostly used
oak however. I think he believed the  chinquapin ought to be saved.   My
brother and I did all the fencing  and fence posts replacement anyway so it wasn't
costing him any labor.  The  oak posts were only good for seven years in the
ground before rot set in.   I tried several time to get him to use the
chinquapin but he never would.
We seldom think about how much something will be missed until it it's  gone.
Possible exception being the Eidsel.
Claude
Tontitown, Arkansas

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.