[AT] Getting older (was Re: Spam> Re: Fw: IH 350 u TEST ??

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Jul 26 04:14:38 PDT 2008

Yes, for some tasks, it takes a little longer, for others I have gotten
a little smarter. I have a very old Woods three-point finish mower that
will throw its belt if I let the PTO clutch out too quickly (about once
a day it seems). It used to take me two very messy hours to get it back
on, but now I have it down to about 15 minutes, and, using Nitrile
gloves, I don't even get greasy.

I find that, if I spend a little time up front thinking through the
task, I can often save myself a lot of time later on. Sometimes that
doesn't help. Since I have to work almost entirely alone, I have to be
very careful that I don't get myself in a jam. Jim Moran up in Rochester
NY fell off a ladder on Monday and broke his leg badly. He lay on the
ground until someone passing by saw him and called 911. That kind of
thing is on my mind when I am moving heavy objects around. I also keep a
cellphone in my pocket now, for just such a situation.

But changing tractor rears still takes a long time. Fortunately, I am
retired so time isn't all that critical. But the heat does get to me
more than it used to. I had a slow leak in one of the tires on the
Farmall 560 the other day, and I ended up using the loader on the Case
430CK to move the beast around (instead of trying to use brute force). I
also used the loader bucket to break the bead, and the job went very
quickly and with a lot less sweat than previously.

Mike