[AT] Dutch Elm

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Fri Jul 25 17:53:05 PDT 2008

Dutch elem must have hit the central NY area about 1958 - 62 as I try to
remember my approximate age as it was happening.  When we bought this
property in 2000, I was excited that there were 3 elems about 6-8" in
diameter that were well spread out about 100 feet from where we built the
house.  They were all dead by 2003, apparently the american elm can survive
until approximately that size.
My cousin still has one old grand elm alive on his farm and seems to get a
charge out of pointing to it and asking if you know what kind of tree it is?
He seemed disappointed that I recognized it from a good 300 yards away, not
many do these days
Carl Gogol - Manlius, NY
Tasty grazing in the Oran valley of Central NY
AC D14, 914H
JD 5320 MFWD
Kubota F-2400, B7300HST
Simplicity 7116H, 3112H