[AT] Portland Info

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Fri Jul 25 04:22:47 PDT 2008

Yep it's pretty much the same at the military bases here Farmer.  10 years
ago if you drove a pickup truck that looked like it  belonged to a
contractor, 8 times out of 10 the gate guard would wave you through.  Now,
post 9-11 you don't get onto the base without ALL of the proper
documentation.  Once you get on  there are places that used to be about as
secure as the Wal-Mart parking lot that now are fensed off with armed guards
on the gates doing a 100% ID check.  Even the area where they sell surplus
property is that way.

Many years ago I was working at Cherry Point the day before the Blue Angles
were to perform at an air show there.  They go through a full practice of
their routine the day before the show.  I drove my personal pickup truck
with no company logos or anything on it out onto the flightline apron beside
a jet hanger, sat on the tail gate and watched the show.  You'd have a hard
time getting to that flight line today with an A1 Abrams tank.

Charlie