[AT] Dutch Elm

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Fri Jul 25 03:24:29 PDT 2008

Bruce Fallon wrote:
> I was a boy in Toledo Ohio in 1962 and I remember Elms dying then and when
> they were cut down they came in with stump grinders to grind the stumps
> where the trees had been growing between the sidewalks and the streets.
>

> Bruce Fallon
> Freeland WA. 98249
> bfallon at whidbey.com
======================================

	It was a lot farther back than that here in Central Indiana. My folks
bought this farm in 1951 and the elms had already all been killed. There
was a huge stump in the front yard and maybe a half dozen dead but still
standing across the farm. Dutch Elm Disease was the first such problem I
had ever heard of. I was a kid at the time. There are a very few native
elm trees around today with maybe 6" to 8" trunks. Probably too small of
a population to support an infestation today. We have quite a few
Chinese Elms now, imported to replace the American Elms. The row across
my front yard are probably about 16" to 18" trunks. We planted them
about 1953.
	BTW, that huge elm stump in the front yard was about 12' from a large
juniper tree that had a ring attached to the stump side of it about
shoulder high. Obviously a hammock mount.

--

"farmer"

I wouldn't mind being absent minded so bad if forgetfulness
could just be a little more selective. Just last week I
was saying so to "whats-her-name..."

Hay & Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)