[AT] Portland Info

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Thu Jul 24 19:20:48 PDT 2008

charlie hill wrote:

> I'm off subject.  I know that has little to do with ash borers but believe
> me ever since 9-11 the security has ramped up 1000%.  In the days right
> after 9-11 the Coast Guard patroled the water along side the port day and
> night with 50 cal machine guns on their decks.  After a while cooler heads
> prevailed but they put up a lot of fencing and greatly improved security.
> I've been going in and out of that port for 25 years or more and a lot of
> the guards know me so they would just wave me through.  Well it's not like
> that now.  Everyone has a badge or pass of some sort and everyone is checked
> coming in and going out.
>
> Charlie

	Back years ago the local Army National Guard Air Facility (herd of
choppers) was on one of my mail routes. They often got packages and if
so I was to be sure someone accepted them. No signatures just give them
to an actual person. It was a pretty good sized building (several now)
and I would roll in the parking lot and sometimes even roll on in the
chopper bay and make a U turn to hand the stuff to somebody. If no one
was around I would climb out and wander around among the offices and
shop rooms until I found somebody. Sometimes I couldn't find anybody...
The whole place would be wide open and nobody home.   :-)
	Advance some years to shortly after 9-11...
	Concrete barriers all around the whole place all topped with concertina
wire, new tall chain link with barbed wire. High security gates. Now
even they don't park their own cars in the parking lot much, they park
on the other side of the road in the grass.
	It is still more secure but not quite as tight as it was for a couple
of years.
	They have several really cool looking oblong hangers there now and I
would about kill to have one to put my tractors in. They are about big
enough to hold "ALL" of my stuff...

--

"farmer"

I wouldn't mind being absent minded so bad if forgetfulness
could just be a little more selective. Just last week I
was saying so to "whats-her-name..."

Hay & Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)