[AT] Portland Info

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Thu Jul 24 14:40:46 PDT 2008

Bob I do some contracting at the port in Morehead City NC.  They have
fumigation chambers there that they run some stuff through but obviously
they don't send stuff like big bags of rubber and ship loads of borate, etc.
through there.  Then there is the lumber and plywood that all of that stuff
is packed in.  There's no way to check it all.  Particularly the
containerized stuff.  I'm sure the terrorist know more about it than we do.
However, I will tell you this.  When a ship from some of the rogue nations
pulls in there the border patrol guys show up in bunches and the local
sherriff has armed guards watching the ships 24/7.
Some ships come in and the crew is allowed to go through the gate, catch a
cab and go shopping in town but when ships with certain flags come in NO ONE
is allowed off the ship.  Everything they need is brought to them and lifted
onto the ship by crane.

I'm off subject.  I know that has little to do with ash borers but believe
me ever since 9-11 the security has ramped up 1000%.  In the days right
after 9-11 the Coast Guard patroled the water along side the port day and
night with 50 cal machine guns on their decks.  After a while cooler heads
prevailed but they put up a lot of fencing and greatly improved security.
I've been going in and out of that port for 25 years or more and a lot of
the guards know me so they would just wave me through.  Well it's not like
that now.  Everyone has a badge or pass of some sort and everyone is checked
coming in and going out.

Charlie