[AT] Battery in backwards question

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Jul 22 14:01:41 PDT 2008

As someone else noted, Larry, starter motors are almost always "field
wound" and can only turn in one direction, regardless of the polarity.
In addition, those old 6 volt motors work just fine on 12 volts,
although they should not be run for more than 10 or 15 seconds. Having
converted at least half a dozen Ford, JD, and IH tractors from 6 volt
positive ground to 12 negative, I can assure you what I wrote above is true.

Mike