[Farmall] rust paint for my trailer - Rust Bullet

E. John Puckett ejpuckett at centurytel.net
Mon Jul 21 05:52:06 PDT 2008

That is the reason there are different products.  I have had good
results with the undercoating, but you have not.  I do not know if it is
different brands, or there was something in the coatings you used under
it that kept it from sticking.  I use it on old rough metal, just
pressure wash, and wire wheel  if loose rust.  I have used POR-15, and
found it to be good, though not quite as good as the adds say, but then
I have never seen a product that was as good as advertisements claim.

Stephen Offiler wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 9:55 PM, E. John Puckett
> <ejpuckett at centurytel.net> wrote:
>

>> I have never personally had any dealings with the Rust Bullet, but have
>> heard that the advertising and truth are only marginally similar.  I am
>> preparing to redo my trailer, and plan on coating the frame with spray
>> on automobile undercoating, the rubberized kind.
>>

> I keep a rattle can of rubberized undercoating around just in case I
> happen across a need for a quick shot of protection.  Or, at least,
> that's always been the theory.  In practice, it actually doesn't work
> all that great.  But I'm stubborn and I don't learn as quick as I used
> to.
>
> I just finished derusting my receiver hitch (Putnam, supposedly
> powder-coated, and I'm kinda disappointed that it rusted like it did)
> with a knotted wire wheel, followed by EX-Tend (one of those
> rattle-can products that turns rust black and seals it), followed by
> "cold-galvanizing compount" (also known as "zinc-rich primer")
> followed by, ta-da, rubberized undercoating.  That was a few weeks
> ago.  The undercoating (NAPA brand, the more premium of their 2-3
> different offerings) rubs off like a pencil eraser.
>
> I would strongly encourage you to check out a DIY bedliner product
> rather than an undercoating.  I've had much better luck with that.
> When I replaced the rear fuel tank on my '97 F-250, I wanted to make
> sure this one didn't rust out like the first one did.  I bought a
> quart of a brush-on bedliner (can't recall the name off
> hand..."Duraliner"???) and used up the whole quart on the tank.  This
> is a very tough product, possibly a urethane.  It's working quite
> well.  Which reminds me of POR-15... no personal experience but I hear
> it is extremely robust.
>
> Stay away from undercoating.
>

> Steve O.

 John