[AT] Melting it all down.(copper is the new gold)

Bob McNitt nysports at frontiernet.net
Sat Jul 19 16:23:40 PDT 2008

All this talk about blueberries (and huckleberries, i.e. low-bush
blueberries) and they're being displaced by woodlands and brushlots reminded
me of a newspaper piece I did years ago on that topic.

High-bush blueberry bushes have a fairly short ideal habitat growth span,
flourishing in relatively open areas that were once pastures or fallow
fields, but are gradually reverting back to woods. Once higher trees begin
to dominate and block the sunlight, the bushes begin to disappear. That's
also true of the ground-growing low-bush variety many of us call
huckleberries.

Another berry that's becoming harder and harder to find in the wild is the
gooseberry, for the same reason. When I was a kid we had several bushes
growing along an old stonewall section in the middle of a pasture. Wide
open, lots of sunlight and fairly dry and well-drained ground. I loved to
pick the ripe berries (which have a prickly skin) and pop them between my
teeth, forcing the sweet fruit contents out into my mouth. Now about the
closest I get to that flavor is buying a jar of gooseberry jam made from
domestic bushes/berries.

Same situation with wild strawberries -- these days you seldom find enough
to make a decent shortcake.

Bob in NY