[AT] JD 60/ PTO Spreader

Roy Morgan k1lky at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 18 17:33:46 PDT 2008

On Jul 18, 2008, at 6:37 PM, Dean Van Peursem wrote:

> Gene:
>
> Yes and "All Fuel" tractor was designed to run on "Tractor Fuel" or
> "Distillate"
> which is the name I heard used for it when I was a kid. Tractor Fuel
> had its own
> formula at the time. The closest thing to that kind of fuel we have
> today is
> Kerosene but isn't quite the same.

Last winter, we ran out of house heating fuel and it was going to be a
few days till the truck could come.  I learned from the dispatcher and
later from the driver that home heating fuel is very close or the same
as diesel fuel, except that one of them has a dye in it (the heating
fuel, I think).  So if you use the stuff you did not pay road taxes on
in your truck on the road, the "officials" can fine you for it.

I lugged 5 gallons at a time to keep the furnace running.

On a related note:
WD-40 apparently started it's life a a water displacing fluid for use
in NASA's rocket launching pads to keep condensed water/dew from
settling into the ceramic lining of the rocket exhaust diverter
tunnels.  (The water in the ceramic tiles would burst into high
pressure steam and flake the tiles.)  Now, it seems that the
composition has changed to:
- mostly "Stoddards Solvent" which is "refined kerosene",
and:
- a small proportion of a light oil.

So for those of you who like to use it a lot (tractors, farm
implements, and barn hinges are an ideal application for the stuff),
it is not really a good lubricant, or at least not for anyyhing heavy
duty or any length of time.

So, if you run out of WD-40, I suggest some K-1 and maybe 20 percent
light oil.  (I don't know what the characteristic scent is.)

Roy

Roy Morgan
13033 Downey Mill Rd
Lovettsville, VA 20180