[AT] Melting it all down.(copper is the new gold)

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Fri Jul 18 16:35:26 PDT 2008

Rob one thing that folks don't understand is that there is danger in being
on someones farm.  There are laws that require a farmer to post a sign if
there is dangerous poison on a crop or on the land but it ONLY applies if
hired labor is required to be in the area.  If no work is scheduled there is
no requirement to post any warning and a bunch of reasons not to.
Therefore, someone could wander into your field and come out dead and it
would be their fault.

Years ago we logged out the woodline that boarders the fields.  There were a
lot of nice old oak trees along the edge and I hated to cut them but they
were in the way of equipment and they were sucking up tons of water so we
had them cut.  There were lots of big limbs and tops left behind.  I put the
word out in the neighborhood that anyone who wanted the wood for firewood
was welcome to it.  They got it alright.  Every stick of it that was easy to
cut up.  They left everything they didn't want, not where they found it in
the woods but in the field where it was easier for them to run their saws.
They also left their trash.  I don't mean the drink bottles and candy
wrappers for the snacks the consumed while working.  I mean their trash from
home. Bags of it.  Oh yeah they left the drink bottles and candy wrappers
too.  I won't do that again.

Our farm is long and narrow and it had a road all the way down it along the
woods and a road out to the highway at both ends and one in the middle.
Soon after the wood experience I told the tenant farmer to cut up all the
roads and tend the land all the way to the woodline.  Most of the time I
can't even get in the back of the field myself now without 4wd and that is
just fine with me.

Charlie