[AT] Melting it all down.

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Fri Jul 18 05:58:28 PDT 2008

	I have a collection of iron farm implement wheels sitting around at
different buildings as decorations. Lately I have been considering how
best to protect them. The two houses sit 300' apart and my woodshop is
at the south house which is empty. OK, so it is not empty... I should
say nobody lives there right now, the house is full...   ;-)
We have a good watch dog in a large pen down there and while she is not
a large dog not much gets by her. If she starts barking that alerts the
dog that runs free and she heads down there at full clip. She isn't a
huge dog either but somehow people find Chow's pretty intimidating. She
is quite territorial.
	I have a pile of scrap out for my regular scrap guy to pick up soon and
it draws way too much attention. Scrappers stop to ask about it often.
The pile should be gone in a week or two. The dogs favorite napping spot
is only about 50 feet away from it.
	My theft problem is the set of barns down the road to the west. I don't
dare leave a tractor sitting down there with gas in the tank... I also
wouldn't dare to sit any of my iron wheels down there and that angers
me. Current situations are making full fledged thieves out of guys that
ordinarily wouldn't bother old stuff but get tempted by possible free
gas or a few extra easy bucks. I do have a good neighbor down there next
to those buildings but his house is air conditioned and always closed up
and he doesn't have any downstairs windows where he can see my
buildings. Two years ago I pulled a wagon load of hay out of the barn
and found that "mice" had eaten over a half dozen bales of hay off of
one back corner, twines and all.   ;-)   Since it was off of the back
corner I had no idea when they had been taken. A few bales of hay won't
break me, its just the dang principal of it...   :-(   I have managed to
get by (sometimes struggling) for 66 years without trespassing and
stealing from folks. I tell myself that the hay maybe at least kept some
poor critter from going hungry...
	Now I need to go out and see if the dog was barking at a deer or a
human last night. I keep a spot-light and a shotgun handy for "events"
but she didn't seem too excited last night so I didn't go out.

--

"farmer"

I wouldn't mind being absent minded so bad if forgetfulness
could just be a little more selective. Just last week I
was saying so to "whats-her-name..."

Hay & Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)