[AT] Gooseneck Hitch Location

George Willer gwill at gwill.net
Thu Jul 17 19:03:30 PDT 2008

>  bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com] On Behalf Of Indiana Robinson
> Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 6:07 PM
> To: Antique tractor email discussion group
> Subject: Re: [AT] Gooseneck Hitch Location
>
> 	They used to make a fairly large travel trailer that was a fifth
> wheel
> type but the hitch was mounted to the roof (on a frame) of the car. A
> dealer used to demo them in parades here and would rotate the car a full
> 360 degrees jockying the rig around in the street. The hitch point on
> those was about in the center of a standard sedan.
> 	A quick search didn't turn up anything. I don't know if they still
> make
> them or not. Kind of a scary concept really, looks like a hard panic
> stop could even pop out windows...

I don't know either whether they still make them.  I do remember seeing one
in the campground at Portland.  It was shortly after the new campground was
opened on the club's property, maybe 25 years ago.  It's interesting that
the tow vehicle could be jockeyed 180 degrees and the camper could be
"backed" into the spot while driving forward.

George Willer