[AJD] Two cylinder 420

Bill Salisbury salisburyw at comcast.net
Thu Jul 17 18:28:04 PDT 2008

I have discovered that my JD 420 is running at 160 degrees which is what the new thermostat is rated for.  My new water temp gage is out of calibration and only shows 140 degrees at full operating temp.  I am not concerned about that.  My question is to you fellows with more experience than I, would it be better to have a 180 degree thermostat in this engine?

The parts manual calls for 160 for a gasoline engine, but calls for a 180 for an all fuel engine.  Seems like what would be good for the goose, would be good for the gander too.  Any good reason not to run it at 180?

No matter how hot the day or how heavy a load I am pulling with it, the temp stays the same at 160.  In case you are wondering how I determined the actual temp---it was by infra red heat gun.

I welcome your comments.

Bill Salisbury