[AT] Melting it all down.

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Thu Jul 17 15:40:28 PDT 2008

	I happened to be down past the local salvage yard today looking at
(wishing for) a couple of old tractors and I was absolutely amazed by
the traffic. This is an old place and has always done well with junk
cars but it isn't usually "busy". Today there was a couple of trucks
unloading scrap, one on the scales and 3 more waiting in line out on the
street... As I left another truck load turned down the street going that
direction.
	I couldn't help but wonder if there were some serious treasures buried
in those loads, perhaps already cut up and destroyed forever...
	I think about half of the unemployed guys and half just looking for a
way to make another buck to buy gas has gone into the scrapping
business. The biggest problem is that a lot of that stuff is stolen.
Thieves hit a local auto dealer last week and took a flock of batteries
including from one personal vehicle.
	Last week one of my daughters took in a stray and injured kitten and
she took it to a vet southwest of here that has a heart and cares for a
lot of such creatures for almost nothing. She met her husband in a small
down on the way and they left his truck parked in that town in front of
a business. This was during business hours. When they got back (still
business hours) to the truck and he started it up it was quite loud...
Yep, catalytic converter was gone... They took a whole string of those
from dealer lots a few months back here too.
	They are starting to crack down on salvage yards more now. Not long ago
Indianapolis lost a whole herd of manhole covers...
	Just don't leave your toys out where they can grow legs or lose parts.

--

"farmer"

I wouldn't mind being absent minded so bad if forgetfulness
could just be a little more selective. Just last week I
was saying so to "whats-her-name..."

Hay & Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)