[AT] Gooseneck Hitch Location

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Thu Jul 17 15:06:32 PDT 2008

	They used to make a fairly large travel trailer that was a fifth wheel
type but the hitch was mounted to the roof (on a frame) of the car. A
dealer used to demo them in parades here and would rotate the car a full
360 degrees jockying the rig around in the street. The hitch point on
those was about in the center of a standard sedan.
	A quick search didn't turn up anything. I don't know if they still make
them or not. Kind of a scary concept really, looks like a hard panic
stop could even pop out windows...
	They probably didn't sell many to convertible owners...   ;-)
	They evidently didn't sell many anyway, I don't recall ever seeing one
out on the road. Just in parades

	I once hauled a 1939 styled John Deere B on a single axle implement
trailer behind a Jeep CJ-5. I recall wishing that it was a gooseneck
trailer. I actually considered putting a gooseneck ball in the back of
the Jeep. There are a lot of things you can do to transfer weight around
to where you want it. These are not the same kind of Jeep but the
concept is interesting.
http://www.sw-pneumatic.com/trailers/new/mech_gooseneck_jeep.html
http://www.dmi3d.com/models/doc_trailking.pdf
	These concepts could be used on a much smaller scale to haul larger
loads safely using smaller tow vehicles. I recall a few years back when
small light weight tag axles were getting fairly common on pickups
hauling large slide-in campers. Then we got into "bigger is better" mode
and everybody started buying bigger and bigger trucks for stability etc.
  It made sense at the time but at possible $5 or $6 a gallon fuel
smaller (often overloaded) rigs are bound to make a come back. I can see
it now... a 24' deck tri-axle behind a Geo Metro...   ;-)
Maybe instead of putting nitrogen in our tractor tires or ballast we
will use helium...   ;-)

--

"farmer"

I wouldn't mind being absent minded so bad if forgetfulness
could just be a little more selective. Just last week I
was saying so to "whats-her-name..."

Hay & Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)