[AT] Gooseneck Hitch Location

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Thu Jul 17 06:11:31 PDT 2008

I have installed about 10 gooseneck hitches over the years.  My first
was a 1/2 ton and it was 2 inches ahead of the axle ONe tons usually
depend on the swing clearance as mentioned before.  they are usually
about 2 inches ahead of the axle.  My 2 ton trucks are anywhere from
over the axle to just behind the axle.  I had a 5 ton with a gooseneck
hitch that was 3 ft behind the axle since it had a crane mounted up
front and it was really great for backing into spaces once you got used
to it...  I have purchased the hitches at auction and then make my own
mounts as I do not believethe factory ones are stout enough.

However, I rebuilt a bumper horse trailer for a lady down the road last
year and had to take her to court for payment of my labor.  She had a
phone conversation with the manufacturer and they told her that they
built their trailers so that they would flex over rough ground.  the
cross members only had 1/2 inch of metal holding them.  The floor boards
were riding on the torflex axles.  I put additional cross members under
it and then ran them wide enough to hold the fenders and then braced
them to the upright members on the sideboards.
They also had one of my welds in a non structural area blown up to 20
times its size and it did not look too good.  the judge took welding in
high school.

I ended up working 5 weeks on this trailer, and paying her $576 for the
privilege!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moral of the story is:

Work only for yourself and make your own decisions..

Cecil in OKla