[AT] Tractor things.

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Tue Jul 15 12:26:29 PDT 2008

	I have been getting some time in on my Farmall S-MTA this summer. It
works really nice for hay stuff but I need to get a few others involved.
I mowed another batch yesterday with the MTA and my drawbar semi-mounted
(number something) John Deere sickle mower. I'll rake  it this afternoon
probably with the same tractor and my old but barely used Coop rake.
I'll bale it tomorrow morning with the IHC (#37 I think) square baler. I
have a hay customer that wants to buy it off of the ground behind the
baler. Saves me handling it and I cut him a deal on price. I want to get
a bunch of small lots cut but I don't want too much down at once. I
would like to have that mower on the back of my 1948 John Deere A but I
have to change both back tires first. I could do some of the work with
the Super M but I don't like banging around the hay lots with the loader
on it and it is not a quick-tatch loader. I do use it with the 3 point
6' bush-hog to cut some rough hay lots for the first cutting. It grinds
that bushy stuff up and makes nice looking bales out of it. The Deere
4020 and Scotts 1755 Oliver are just too big and thirsty for light work.
	That S-MTA also handles my Vermeer 504C round baler very nicely. I'm
not sure why so many guys think that you need over 100 HP for a round baler.
	I got a call from my scrap guy and I think I will finally get my Case
VAC, I bought from him a while back, home this week. It was stored in
the back of a shed with a lot of a third party's "stuff" in front of it.
I brought the separate parts like the head, hood, grill, gas tank and
radiator home back when I first bought it. I plan to use it a lot as an
"easy on - easy off" tractor for a zillion little odd jobs like
jockeying wagons etc. I have several other small tractors but not
something that easy to climb on and off of. My Allis C is comfortable to
use but even with an added step it can be a bear constantly getting from
the ground to the seat for an old geezer. My MM-R is easy off and on but
that #$%& hand clutch is awkward and jumpy especially backing. That
tractor belonged to an uncle and a friend and neighbor of his that
farmed with him said it was kind of  jumpy even when it was new. As a
result it really doesn't have all that many hours on it. They mostly
used it for small disking jobs, some cultivating, and running an
elevator. Backing a wagon with it is just silly.   :-)   Forward is not
too bad but not as good as the Deere A hand clutch.
	My little Yanmar 1500 diesel is fairly handy but again not an old mans
friend when climbing off and on a lot. It is also a little light for a
lot of small jobs. What I really wish I had was one of the N Fords or a
TO Ferguson back. I grew up with those. That could happen this fall.
	A few years ago as Diana and I walked around tractor shows I started
looking at tractors specifically in regards to how easy it is to climb
on and off often. After a lot of looking and testing a few (only the
ones without fancy paint) I had concluded that a VAC Case without
hydraulics would best fill the bill, at least in the proper price range.
I had been watching for one ever since and I am tickled to death to get
this one. I paid $300 for this one and "THINK" that I can have it in
operation for maybe $200 to $300 more. This will be my first Case. I
have been wanting an SC for a long time but that will have to wait.
There were quite a few of them around here since we had a good Case
dealer here in the 1950's. Maybe next year...
	My wish list still calls for a McCormick 10-20 and a Shelbyville IN
made Custom. And... And... And...
:-)

--

"farmer"

I wouldn't mind being absent minded so bad if forgetfulness
could just be a little more selective. Just last week I
was saying so to "whats-her-name..."

Hay & Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)