[AT] Garden Tractor pulleys

Dennis Johnson moscowengnr at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 11 11:55:02 PDT 2008

Larry, I had an experience 2 days ago that was a lot different. I have failed a PTO clutch on my JD 116. I got it jacked up, and was ready to install a puller to remove. I even had my hammers handy to help assist. (have done it before and needed both puller and hammers).

  This time when I got the belt off, and the retaining bolt removed, the PTO clutch just fell down mainly by gravity. I was surprised. That is the fasted that I have ever been able to change a PTO clutch on a lawn tractor.

  Regards,
  Dennis

  LOL!  But you don't "tune" a tractor with a sledge hammer either,
 Charlie.  I tell the guys on another group that's devoted to MY tractors
 (Power King's) that if they have to use a hammer for operations. they're
 probably not using the right technique.

But having said that, I have a riding lawn mower hanging from my engine
 hoist like a piece of dead meat while I try to remove the engine
 pulley.  Removing the pulley has to happen so the drive belts can be
 changed.  It's too bad the original assembly did not make use of any
 anti-seize grease.  As a result, a ten-minute job will now take four to five
 days and cost $30 in new parts that should not have been needed.

Larry