[AT] tractor restoration lessons wanted

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Fri Jul 11 04:37:09 PDT 2008

Four other additions to George's list would be:

"How to Rebuild and Restore Farm Tractor Engines" Spencer Yost,
Motorbooks International ISBN 0-7603-0661-3

"How to restore Classic Farm Tractors" Tharran F: Gaines, Voyageur Press
ISBN 0-89658-466-0

"How to restore your Farm Tractor" Robert N. Pripps, Motorbooks
International ISBN 0-87938-593-6

"How To Restore Classic Farmall Tractors: The Ultimate Do-it-Yourself
Guide to Rebuilding and Restoring" by Tharran E Gaines

All of the above were available new from <www.amazon.com> as of this
morning, both new and used, for under $15. While I always recommend
Spencer's books first for personal reasons, Gaines' books are also
excellent. All of these books are very good starting points, but, as
others have pointed out, you learn a lot just by doing. One thing to
point out is that there is often no one "right" way to do things, just
he one that works out best for you.

My personal recommendation is to choose a smaller tractor to start with
and one that still has good parts availability. A larger tractor will
require a lot more muscle to handle the parts, and an "orphan" model
will be frustrating due to critical pieces made of "unobtanium". To that
end, I would suggest tractors like the Ford N series, Farmall Cub/A/C,
John Deere A/B/M, Allis Chalmers B/C (and that list is in pretty much my
order, only because of cost and availability of parts - they are ALL
fine machines and worthy of restoration). Not that there is anything
wrong with any of the others you will see around, but if you start with
one of the easy ones, there is less chance that you will become
frustrated and give up in disgust.

With all of the tractors you may find, it is hard for a novice to get a
feel for whether it might be worth the investment in time and money. If
it is running, that is a HUGE advantage, but sometimes "ran when parked"
can be the beginnings of a great project (or a complete nightmare).
Remember that some things, like rear tires, can cost as much as you paid
for the machine to replace, yet a "stuck" engine can sometimes be
brought back to life with just a little time and patience (and the right
"magic potion" placed in the cylinders. These days, the most powerful
ally you can bring to the search is a digital camera and an Internet
album - take a lot of images of the prospective machine and post it on
your album and send us a note to tell us about it. You will get more
advice than you can probably use, but it might save you from a tragic
mistake. Take a look at <www.fotki.com/mikesloane> for an example.

The most important thing is to ask questions and don't be afraid of
seeming foolish - we ALL started out knowing nothing. Some folks were
fortunate to have friends/neighbors/relatives to guide them, but others
(like me) had to start "from scratch" and learn on the way. Rule no. 1
for ATIS is that there are no "dumb" questions.

By the way, you might have noticed that sometimes the members get
carried away with side conversations that have little or nothing to do
with the subject at hand - this is just good natured banter and can be
safely ignored (or contributed to, as the situation warrants). If you
should select a tractor for which there is a special ATIS list (Farmall,
Ford/Ferguson, John Deere, etc), it might be beneficial to join that
list and post your comments there. There are also dozens of Internet
sites and forums, as well as Yahoo Groups for antique tractors of
different kinds. I belong to several of them, but quite frankly, the
most knowledgeable responses will come from ATIS. I have often seen
advice given at some other sources that was simply downright wrong.

I would be remiss if I failed to comment on safety. Restoring an old
farm tractor requires working with chemicals and equipment that, if used
improperly can result in serious injury or even death. Follow the safety
advice given, work slowly and carefully, and if something doesn't feel
right, step back and think it through. It is better to lose a day while
you rig up a better support for a situation than have something fall on
you and cause injury.

Mike