[AT] tractor restoration lessons wanted

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Thu Jul 10 20:20:41 PDT 2008

Warren wrote:
>> class, but I can't find either in my area of the country (Bloomington,
>> Indiana).  I'd be very happy to hear how best to learn the art of
>> giving new life to old, rusty metal.
>
> Welcome, Harold. You are lucky to be living near "the magnetic center of the
> known universe", known on this list as Shelbyville, IN. A list member using
> the name "Farmer" lives there. When he offers you lessons and advice though,
> watch out. He'll likely want you to come to his place and take all your
> instruction while wrenching on *his* tractors. Meanwhile your own tractor,
> expensively towed to his farm, will mysteriously blend in with all the other
> objects around the place.
>
> Warren

	Awww shucks Warren, I ain't that bad...   :-)

	Heck, I have gotten rid of so much iron that now I can hardly swing a
compass needle...

	Welcome Harold:
	I love to visit and talk old tractors (or about anything else except
politics or sports). I have had many visits here at the farm over the
years from ATIS folks and "ALL" were just great.
	I have been a little overwhelmed on email lately and am badly behind. I
get a fair amount of off list mail and I own 18 email list, moderate a
couple of genealogy list and belong to more others than I should. Still
I usually get around to answering everything eventually as long as I
don't lose it and as I said I love to visit. Being more than a little
excentric I do detest talking on the phone... Danged devil machine is
only good for internet access and now I have wireless broadband (Verizon
USB modem) so I may pull the plug on the land lines. I also "never" use
internet chat etc. I like to carefully think over what I want to say and
then I say something stupid anyway.   :-)
	I'm finally getting to the end of dealing with the tornado damage to
our property over in Rush county (I hope) and have been going nuts
trying to get hay baled with only 2 days between rains. I made a
decision this week to retire from any commercial hay production. I'm
trying to get my priorities back in line and want to spend more time on
my hobbies. I have missed a bunch of tractor shows this year and have
only been to a couple of auctions. I want more shop time when I am not
racing to beat a rain. I want to work on stuff while feeling like I can
take time to do it right instead of rushing through the job and closing
the door on the mess and heading to the field. I'm happy to talk
restoration but I am personally not real special at it. I enjoy
irritating the correct police and I like "good" farmer modifications to
old tractors. I love and admire ultra fine woodworking but one of my
favorite woodworking tools is a hatchet... I kind of approach old
tractors the same way. I have a couple of tractors that are in above
average condition and have new(ish) paint and decals but they are what I
call "working" paint jobs or "30 foot" paint jobs (they look good at 30
feet back). About all of my tractors need "something" and some are
"projects in wishing". If you look closely at most of them you can see
bits of the original color.   :-)   I have work benches in my shop that
I have not seen the top of in 25 years.  I always wanted to have a model
shop but can't get my act together. I did get it together once but then
I couldn't lift it...
Tell us what kind of old iron you dream about at night... Do you have a
favorite color?

--

"farmer"

I wouldn't mind being absent minded so bad if forgetfulness
could just be a little more selective. Just last week I
was saying so to "whats-her-name..."

Hay & Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)