[Farmall] It's Battery Time

Roger Moffat rogerkiwi at aol.com
Tue Jul 1 19:02:30 PDT 2008

On Jul 1, 2008, at 1:59 PM, John Gustafson wrote:

> For what its worth, stay with the 12 volt battery. I would take the
> time
> though to try and get the alternator (most 12 V  generators were in
> fact
> alternators) You won't hurt the starter motor unles you really sit
> there and
> grind on it and overheat it.  Generally, they spin so fast with 12 V
> that
> even a cranky engine fires quickly.

Thanks to all for the thoughts on this.

The 12 Volt battery is the way forward for now, and if I can pick up
one of those trickle chargers that would be the way to go for now.

When I get a chance I'll look at getting the 12V generator back in
action by moving it forward so the pulleys line up and the belt will
stay on.

The electronic ignitions seem like more than I need to spend too.

Apart from the battery, the main problem I have with it which I've
written about before is that if the Cub sits too long - numbers of
weeks - then when started it won't build oil pressure, and I've had to
resort to taking the top off the filter and filling it from there with
what seems like a trillion pumps on the oil can to fill the filter
housing and hope some of it runs back to the pump to seal it up so it
will prime. I will at some stage take the oil pan off it and check
that the pickup etc isn't loose and so causing a problem of any sort.

Again Thanks for the ideas.

Roger