[AT] Tractor Hydraulics

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Thu Jan 31 07:20:07 PST 2008

	Hi Mark:

	I usually post this a couple of times a year. Don't overlook old SP
combines for a source of high capacity, high quality hydraulic components.
Combines wear out in the separator and heads but almost never in the
hydraulics or even the engine for that matter. When I got rid of a huge
batch of old stuff this last summer I gritted my teeth and looked the other
way when they cut up and hauled two Deere 45 combines, one with a very good
engine and both with good hydraulics. I have almost the same situation
coming up with my Gleaner "F" combine. It has a few fairly minor problems
like one bearing needs replaced on the corn head, it could used a bushing
in the main variable speed drive pulley and two turn brake master cylinders
need rebuilding but it is still a fairly decent old combine but it is worth
about as much for scrap as it is as a combine... It also has a lot of good
hydraulics. It is a little too big for the guys with a few acres (the guy
that bought my one good Deere 45 raised 15 acres of grain each year) and
too small for about anyone in my neighborhood since most around here now
farm between 600 to 1500 acres... It is about right for someone with 50 to
200 acres but there just are not many of those guys left. I have three
choices, none of them real good. Fix it up and try to sell it to some small
farmer. Try to sell it "as is" to someone that would fix it up and use it.
Or sell it as scrap and look the other way as it goes out the drive.
	It came here on a low-boy semi. It is too big (and tall) to haul on most
trailers not made for that purpose. While my dealer friend delivered it to
me for free, such hauling can be pricy which tends to limit me to someone
close enough to drive it home.
	The depressing part of retirement...

--
"farmer"