[AT] timing a cub

George Willer gwill at gwill.net
Thu Jan 31 07:19:04 PST 2008

Charlie,

My earlier reply was quoting the IH manual method.  It does result in very
slightly retarded timing for safety reasons (hand cranking).  It's hard to
beat the results of an experienced mechanic timing by ear.  The light is
really a substitute for experience on Cubs.

Last summer before our Cub Tug we tested my special Cub on a dyno hoping to
tune it to the max.  The special carb with adjustable main jet (the IH Cub
carb is non-adjustable) and the timing were both set by ear.  According to
the dyno neither setting could be improved.  It won the first heat.

Larry Dotson was reading the dyno.

Some day we'll discuss the carburetor...

George Willer