[AT] Pressure drop?

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Wed Jan 30 12:48:57 PST 2008

--On Wednesday, January 30, 2008 2:19 PM -0500 charlie hill
<chill8 at suddenlink.net> wrote:

> Gene PEX fittings have been re-designed.  I guess the old mechanical
> fittings are still around but the new way involves using a tool that
> stretches the pipe.  Then it is slid over the fitting.  The PEX shrinks
> back  to it original size and supposedly won't come off.
>
> Charlie

	Hi Gene:

	Comparing the old Qest (Polybutylene) to PEX is about like comparing my
body to a super model...   ;-)
	I never used any Qest because I didn't like the look, feel or price of it
back when it first came out. PEX systems (cross linked polyethylene) on the
other hand have been used extensively in both regular plumbing, industrial
plumbing of all sorts of stuff (some of it pretty nasty) and hydronic
heating systems both in or under wood floors and in poured concrete and mud
bed systems. Under wood floors they make an aluminum panel that has a
little trough made in the center to hold the pipe and you screw the panel
up against the floor to hold the pipe and spread the heat. It is a whole
new ball game and so far I have not found any real disadvantages to it (I'm
sure there are some). There is one... I paid over a hundred bucks for the
crimping tool for 1/2" and 3/4".   :-)    The kind I'm using I bought at
Menards and almost the identical stuff is at Lowes. There are minor
variations between brands but I think almost everything will cross over. A
few things will not. Scott has bought all of his at Lowes but is borrowing
my crimping tool. He is re-plumbing his house and plumbing the new
addition. He is using red for all hot water lines and blue for all cold
water lines. He also has a batch of white but I'll be danged if I can
recall right now what he is using it for. You use a heavy crimp on ring
then check each one with a "go - no go" gauge for the system we are using.
	As far as it becoming a whipping snake if that concerns you then you
shouldn't use an air hose...   ;-)   ;-)
	I'm using 1/2" because it is cheap, I have it and I know it will carry
more air than my smaller air hose.   :-)
	I will be feeding from the farm shop to the wood shop and will be running
it directly to a 20 gallon tank. The tank will act as a buffer and also
have a good check valve at the inlet so it (hopefully) will always have air
in it for quick little jobs even when the compressor is off. Eventually I
hope to have the farm shop compressor in a heated environment so it can be
on all of the time. At this time I have to shut it down in very cold
weather for fear of it not starting due to being so stiff (I have the same
problem myself).   :-)    I already have a small compressor in the wood
shop that will run a nail gun/stapler if I need it.

BTW, here is a link to a good PEX information page that shows the various
connection methods available and cross compatibility:
<http://www.pexinfo.com/>

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson