[AT] Pressure drop?

Gene Waugh Elgin, Illinois USA gwaugh at wowway.com
Wed Jan 30 11:00:21 PST 2008

What has interested me the most in this thread is the use of
PEX--farmer, someone asked what fittings you will be using?  I think
they make barbed fittings that use a compressed band to hold them
together, and perhaps they have a threaded compression sort, as was used
with the old Quest.  (Qest?, memory is failing) piping, which turned out
to burn many, many people.  Biggest problem was the fittings, especially
aluminum compression rings for the crimped fittings.  Especially on the
hot side, the aluminum would work-harden and eventually let go.  There
were also rings of a copper alloy, and I don't think they were nearly
the problem.  Sploosh!  We would test it hydraulically to about 160 psi.

Using PEX for air doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as PVC---at
least you won't have shards flying around, just a big ol whipping snake
perhaps!  Again, I am curious as to the fittings used.  Unless you
simply have the 1/2" lying around and want to use it, I sure think I
would go with at least 3/4" for such a long run.  Personal opinion.

/Gene
Gene Waugh
Elgin, Illinois USA/