[AT] Pressure drop?

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Wed Jan 30 04:22:15 PST 2008

Dudley Rupert wrote:
> The following site contains a table that will answer the question (assuming
> the table is correct) -
>
> http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/compressed-air-pressure-loss-d_1014.html
>
> For example, it looks like for a 1/2" pipe with 10 SCFM of air flowing
> through it @100PSI the drop is 0.4 psi for every 100 feet of pipe.
>
> Like Dean said in a post a few minutes ago electricity and airflow behave a
> lot alike.  Voltage drop is the easier to calculate however.  For example,
> if you double the amount current through a wire you simply double the
> voltage drop between the ends of the wire (Ohms Law).  From the table above,
> however, it looks like air pressure drop in a pipe is more complicated to
> compute; that is, it cannot be computed by a simple (linear) expression of a
> couple of variables ... maybe with some regression analysis and fancy curve
> fitting one could come with a polynomial for computing air pressure drop.
>
> Dudley
> Snohomish, Washington

Not wanting to sound like a Know-It-All, but I do have one of those
Engineering Degrees in Agricultural Engineering from Oklahoma State...
I would say that for the normal 4cfm at 90 psi requirement of most air
tools, that Farmers 1/2 pex pipe would be purt near good enough.
Just my educated opinon.
Cecil in OKla