[AT] Pressure drop?

rlgoss at insightbb.com rlgoss at insightbb.com
Tue Jan 29 21:45:38 PST 2008

You guys are a stitch. I've been laughing for an hour over this thread.

Farmer, if you really want to know, go to:  http://www.efunda.com/formulae/fluids/calc_pipe_friction.cfm

Plug in the measurements and have at it.  The sample calculation has a pressure drop of about 5 psi, but I didn't really check the size of the pipe or the distance.

Search in Google for "Reynolds number"  if you want to have your eyeballs roll to the back of your head.  But some of you "senior statesmen" on the list should pay attention to the material that is written about the physiological effects of a Reynolds number and how it relates to heart disease high blood pressure, etc.

For more practical information, search for pipe pressure loss or pipe friction.

With your pneumaic nailer, you aren't going to use enough air to ever notice any loss.  But with the paint gun, you may not be able to have good results with the larger high-pressure style that is popular today.

BTW, Farmer, I suspect your engineer friend was a graduate of Purdue because he was dead wrong and wouldn't admit it.  Before you all start flaming, I attended and graduated from that fine institution, but I also taught there and I know a little bit about what goes on there on the "other side" of the desk.

Larry