[AT] Pressure drop?

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Tue Jan 29 20:04:36 PST 2008

--On Tuesday, January 29, 2008 10:23 PM -0500 WF Smith <mogrits at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is this a trick question? If there are no leaks the pressure will be
> equal. Fluid pressure isn't like a voltage drop.
>
> Warren

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

	That was always my opinion but an engineer at a place I used to work said
I was dead wrong and that he had charts that showed a drop amount even if
the air was not moving... I don't know how good he was but they did use a
gigantic amount of compressed air. There were hundreds of machines using
that air and the compressor was a huge monster with a 10 foot dia. pulley.
The air came into the plant I was in in several 3" lines and by the time it
got to the individual machines it was mostly down to 1/2" pipe or smaller
except on the larger equipment. They used thousands of air cylinders from
about 1"bore x 6" stroke up to about 4" bore x 24" stroke. Many of them
cycled dozens of times a minute sounding like fire crackers. I have always
blamed my hearing loss on the 5 years I worked there. Like I said I thought
he was wrong but he swore that if he put a pressure gauge on the line at
the start and another on the end of the line that the gauge would show drop
even with no air moving... I quit arguing with him since he had the degree
and the big paycheck and I was the dumb farm kid...   :-)   So I guess he
was wrong and I was right after all?   :-)

	BTW, this line will be for operating several air nail guns (one at a
time), a little spray finishing work and some general wood shop blow gun
work so as long as I have 90 PSI while working that will do the job.

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana, USA