[AT] flywheel ring gear

Lew Best bee_keeper at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 28 20:06:18 PST 2008

Hey guys

The time has come where I have to change the flywheel ring gear on my
420 JD.  Can’t find a “good spot” on it to start it again.  :-(

Probably been over 20 years since I did the last one; first off what’s
the best way to get the old one off?  Can’t recall if I cut it or if I
heated it to expand it so it would slide off.

Secondly; I recall heating the new one to make it go on but can’t recall
if I heated it in oil or just kept circling it with a torch to make it
expand.  Sure don’t wanna mess it up; the new gear is a little over 100
bux with shipping!

Any suggestions appreciated.

Lew Best near Waco, TX

Checked by AVG Free Edition.