[AT] The Wreck Of The Old 97/OT

Howard Weeks weeksh at wildblue.net
Sun Jan 27 14:52:18 PST 2008

I have been moving LPs to computer and CDs for several months now.

Turntable feeds a small dual channel or stereo preamp -
Which feeds a small analog to digital convertor that plugs into a USB
port.  Both the preamp and the A-D convertor are available from a
number of sources.
For software, I use "Nero" running on XP Pro.  I think I paid about
$60 for the Nero software package.

The software contains a number of tools that provide a capability to
clean up the audio if needed (remove noise hits, etc).  I save most
of my stuff in MP3 format as well as CD format.

The quality is as good as or better (less noise) than the original.

And I can record anything that I can play on the turntable.

Tiger has the A-D convertors.  I have forgotten where I got the
preamp.  The standard output of the turntable pickup is too low
without the preamp.  If you have the turntable connected to a stereo
amp/receiver, the line out from it has the required level to drive
the A-D convertor.

Howard in GA

On 27 Jan 2008 at 12:38, John Grant wrote:

> Hey Ralph, GOOD to hear from you! I know a guy in Arizona who is a computer
> freak and he does is using bunch of "stuff" he has built etc. Sound is a
> good as the original. Just a long way to Az. !  We'll find a way yet. I'll
> bet someone on this list has done it. I'd like a few in particular to listen
> to while driving my tractor (John Deere 630 Standard) on trail rides etc.
> (necessary tractor ref.) Keep Warm!!!   JG

Howard Weeks
Harlem, GA
K5JCP