[Farmall] Whats new(old) in your shop

olmstead at ridgenet.net olmstead at ridgenet.net
Sun Jan 27 14:53:39 PST 2008

Most of the F4s I've rebuilt have been pretty nasty; I deliberately chose
the ones missing the distributor cap at first because they were in such
horrible shape that I wouldn't have felt too badly if I had destroyed them
while learning how to work on 'em.

But after I began rebuilding better magnetos, on two occasions I opened up
an F4 that had obviously never been touched before.  It was almost like
visiting a shrine.  Who would have guessed that IHC put little dabs of
paint on some of the screws 70 years ago when they assembled the mag,
probably to keep the screws from vibrating loose?

Doesn't often happen that you find some component on an old Farmall that
has never been touched.  But it's sure fun looking!

Haven't done much in my shop other than change radiator hoses and oil on
my Kubota lately.  And used a broom to push most of the water out; it's
been raining and water runs in under the walls of my shop.  Not
complaining, though; we had less than one inch of rain last year.

-Karl