[AT] The Wreck Of The Old 97/OT

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Sun Jan 27 10:07:09 PST 2008

On Sunday 27 January 2008 10:52:34 Ralph Goff wrote:
> [...]

Computer sound cards tend to be really bad for recording (find for telephone,
but bad for music).   Part of this is due to the computer itself - it is
impossible to get great sound quality out of any sound card inside a
computer.   A external USB sound card will often give very good sound
quality.

Check with your library, often there is one with all the equipment for this in
large towns.  (You may have to drive for a few hours).   Also ask around at
music stores, many of them will sell, such things (you are not the only one
with records), or perhaps they can set you up with someone who has this
already.

I found a bunch of record players with USB connectors at
http://www.zzounds.com/cat--DJ-Turntables--2462 .   None have a built in CD
burner so you will have to do some work yourself (I've seen them with build
in burners.   Though they also include software which might be able to get
rid of dust scratches - if you can figure out how to make it work.

Be careful.  In the US you can legally shift your music to other formats.  In
almost all cases the music is copyrighted so you can't share it.   Copyright
for old music is much more complex than copyright for books.    (I'd like to
go on a rant about this, but I'm already far enough off topic)