[AT] The Wreck Of The Old 97

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Sat Jan 26 17:25:44 PST 2008

--On Saturday, January 26, 2008 4:00 PM -0500 George Willer
<gwill at gwill.net> wrote:

> It's interesting that spell checker doesn't recognize "Victrola"!
>
> George Willer

	Most of the spell checkers I use (Including MS-Office 2000) don't even
recognize the word "Internet". I had to add it and numerous other computer
terms. Go figure...   :-)

	BTW my sister and I wore out a lot of records on an old Victrola.
	I was just talking today about the Seth Thomas clock (I wound it today) I
have that my parents bought when they got married in 1939. They never had
an electric clock until about 1950. It was an alarm clock. They got an
electric kitchen clock, bought used at an auction, about 1953. I thought we
had hit the big time.   :-)   My folks needed that wind-up clock because
one house they lived in shortly before I was born didn't have electricity.
It also didn't have a well and they hauled water in old milk cans.
	I didn't live in a house with a furnace until I got married. We got basic
indoor plumbing about 1953 but no bathroom. The TV came about then. The
"indoor potty" came along about 3 years later. We had a crude shower in the
cellar. We did have a phone (party line) early in the 1950's for business
reasons since my father was selling steel buildings among other things and
when we were selling a lot of purebred hogs (mostly Yorkshire) we had a
phone in the barn. It was the talk of the neighborhood...   :-)
	Diana's folks never had any indoor plumbing except for a pitcher top pump
on a cistern until after she and I were married. The well pump was outside.
They never had a phone or bathroom while she was at home. They never did
have a furnace until her dad died in his 80's and her mom moved to an
apartment in town. They always heated with wood and coal. I believe Diana
was in high school before they got a TV. We were married a while before we
felt we could afford a TV then we got a used one. The first new one (B&W)
was another one of those "we have hit the big time" events.   :-)   Now we
have one in the living room, one in the kitchen, one in the solar room, one
in the bed room, one that is headed for the basement family room, one in
the farm shop, one in the wood shop and at least two extras. Times have
indeed changed.
	We also have a furnace...   :-)  A couple of "indoor" bathrooms (we still
have an outhouse, used at family reunions) and more phones than you can
shake a stick at on two phone lines in addition to our two cell phones.
	The house we lived in when I was born was a former garage about 12' x 18'
with a shed shaped room about 6' x 16' across the back that served as a
kitchen. The only plumbing was a pipe sticking up out of the floor in the
kitchen with a valve on it. There was my folks and my sister and I squeezed
into it. Today Diana and I rattle around in about 5,000 square feet and on
occasion call each other on the phone rather than walk around hunting each
other...   :-)   The house where we lived when I was born would fit in my
20' x 36' living room with a good bit of room left over. Maybe that little
house is the reason that I get claustrophobic today...   :-)   When I
visualize that little house I always see it with the McCormick 10-20 parked
about 30 feet away and the 9N parked in the small shop building next to the
house.

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson